Wood floors are very easy to clean with today's advanced finish technologies. But you need to follow some specifications to clean the floors on a day to day basis, to maintain its beautiful look. However, it is advisable to know how to maintain the hardwood floor to maximize the life of its beauty and strength. The following are the do's and don’ts, which can help all the homeowners to keep their hardwood floor good over time.
- Please make sure to wipe off the food spills or water spills everyday without fail.
- Cleaning of the floor needs to be done by a soft bristle broom and make this as your day to day routine.
- Know the type of the floor finish and follow the proper maintenance procedures for that particular finish.
- Mop the stains with wet smooth cloth.
- Keep your pets’ nails trimmed and their paws clean. Pets can cause stains and scratches.
- Make sure to dry the floor, soon after removing a stain or cleaning a spill with wet cloth.
- It is recommended to consult with an installer or the manufacturer if there are any doubts to clarify and to know the type of wood finish
- Use fabric-faced or plastic glides furniture legs to prevent scratching and scuffing.
- Place door mats and throw rugs at exteriors, doorways and interiors to prevent the tracking of sand grit and dirt.
- For the kitchen with wood floors, make sure to place the mats near the sinks and near areas where water spills may occur.
- Use of proper area rugs is recommended for highly trafficked areas.
- Advisable to clean , sweep or vacuum the floors regularly
- Do not clean the floor with high PH level acids , as it may spoil the hardwood floor. Generally a neutral based pH level cleaners are used on the hardwood floor.
- Do not use harsh detergents, wax-based cleaners, steel wool and abrasives to clean the hardwood flooring as they give dull finish of the hardwood flooring.
- Never mop the wood floor with wet dripping with water cloth as the excessive standing water can damage the wood , dull the wood finish and leave a discoloring part.
- Do not use the oily soap’s because they can leave the residue on the floor .
- Do not install the hardwood in an area that will be subject to excessive moisture for example bathrooms etc..,
- Avoid walking on your hardwood floors with athletic spiked or damage-heeled shoes.
- Do not Install hardwood flooring in an area that is not environmentally controlled like a cottage or summer home that is not constantly maintained
- Do not use steel wool or any other abrasives to clean the hardwood floor
- Do not Install hardwood flooring over radiant heat. It is better to think about engineered hardwood flooring which allows the temperature variations.